Old 08-20-2012, 04:36 PM
mirabelle

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
I need some advice and hope it's okay to ask it on this thread. My friend has a friend with a 4 year old little boy who has many health problems that resulted in him losing his sight and most of his hearing. I read somewhere about "sensory quilts" or something like that. I'd like to make one for him. I don't know the real name of them to even Google for info so I'm asking yinz for help. My plan: it would only be about 18" x 20" and made out of large squares of different textured fabrics (fleece, corduroy, flannel, chenile, suede, etc). The ones I saw also had a zipper and buttons sewn on. I don't think I should add those since he's only 4. What do you think? Also, some had ribbons hanging off the sides; is this a good/bad idea for a 4 y/o? Can you think of anything else I might add? I'm lost here and you ladies are always so kind and have great suggestions. Help, please!!
Peace-Jan
JanRN I googles Sensory quilts but didn't really find anything, how about appliqueing animals like giraffe and use wool for a plaited tail, or a bear with a furry tummy, lots of pockets with zippers and velcro, you could also stitch in bear growlers or small toys that rattle or make a noise, just a few ideas