View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 09:57 AM
amma
Power Poster

I went to Cave Hill Cemetery here in Louisville, Kentucky. When you drive in it is a park like setting, over a half mile of beautiful trees and grounds. there are hundreds of varieties of trees and probably as many flowers, grasses and shrubbery. I have been there twice now 2 to 2 1/2 hours each time and have not even seen half of it yet. People come here in tour groups, for picnics, daily walks while on their lunch breaks..it is breathtakingly beautiful.
I was talking to one family who have members buried there going back to the civil war, they showed me the area reserved for those who died in that war and for other's who had supported the war in other ways. It looks like a miniature of Arlington Cemetery.
The statuettes are all amazing, not only in style but in size...the trees are allowed to grow up and around them... The historical society is working on restoring some also, that weather has slowly etched away. I am not sure how many acres there are...but you could walk there for days and still miss parts of it.

Here are just a few of the many pictures I have taken there.

Driving into the cemetery
[ATTACH=CONFIG]50542[/ATTACH]

I have seen this Ginko Tree on PBS shows and they said it was the oldest ginko tree in the USA
[ATTACH=CONFIG]51462[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-50542.jpe   attachment-51462.jpe