Old 08-20-2012, 06:37 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Ahem JanRN ... I heard that about nagging!

Jenniky ... Talk about coordinating to the book! Lovely mix of colours/fabrics that you've assembled. You're still missing a bit of the mustard and would make a great pop and punch here and there in your quilt.

I was a little ahead of JanRN ... and learned to like PPing while doing my FWS. Here's some tips as to what has been working for me!

To hold fabric in place ... I just use some machine basting stitches and then take them out later on. That's what worked best for me, to be sure to keep it all laying still, straight and tight! A lot of the time, I do not cut til after I stitch it in place. I have been hesitant on glues, for fear of residue marking later.

For colour marking and coding ... I keep a set of washable markers handy, and mark each section for the colour I want in it.

And when you need a bandage ... sometimes when PPing, some of the paper comes off all too soon. A roll of painter's tape sits right next to my machine to come into action, and bandage the parts together. You can stitch thru it easily.

For pinning PP sections together ... ITA with JanRN that pinning can skew things. What I do ... is create a picket fence of straight pins, matching points and seam allowances. Let those pins all stand straight. That picket fence holds all in place and prevents the shift when pinning in the normal in-out way.