Old 08-22-2012, 12:38 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Turn you hotpad right side out. Use a turning tool to poke out the corners.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]357207[/ATTACH]

Set the bottom right edge under the needle and lower the needle down onto the fabric.
I hold the other edge so the fabric is pulled taut and I use my scissors to tuck the material in the opening til the opening is even with the sewn edge
Then sew along that edge catching the opening in the seam
[ATTACH=CONFIG]357209[/ATTACH]

I sew all the way around the hotpad. Here you can see the finish seam along the edge
[ATTACH=CONFIG]357210[/ATTACH]

If I don't get the opening closed well enough I use a needle and thread and sew it shut using a blind stitch. I sink the knot on the inside at one end of the opening
[ATTACH=CONFIG]357211[/ATTACH]

Then you slide the needle through the folded edge and come up about 1/2" and switch over to the other side and slide the needle through that side.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]357212[/ATTACH]

Continue alternating between both sides til you get to the end. Then I sew back the other way for a stitch or two to lock the thread
[ATTACH=CONFIG]357213[/ATTACH]

Here is my closed opening using a blind stitch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]357214[/ATTACH]

I like to spray the hotpad with Magic Sizing. I spray it well so it will stiffen. Iron it dry.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]357215[/ATTACH]

Here is my finished hotpad~
[ATTACH=CONFIG]357216[/ATTACH]

Hope you enjoyed following along on how I make my hotpads.

Tip:
If you want to use insulbrite you surely can. Just use it as the backing or you can put it in the middle between the batting.
Attached Thumbnails boston-block-hotpad-tutorial-015.jpg   boston-block-hotpad-tutorial-016.jpg   boston-block-hotpad-tutorial-017.jpg   boston-block-hotpad-tutorial-018.jpg   boston-block-hotpad-tutorial-019.jpg  

boston-block-hotpad-tutorial-020.jpg   boston-block-hotpad-tutorial-021.jpg   boston-block-hotpad-tutorial-023.jpg   boston-block-hotpad-tutorial-024.jpg  

Last edited by Rhonda; 08-22-2012 at 12:45 AM.