View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 03:22 AM
Sandygirl

Originally Posted by raksmum View Post
I am also heading to Houston for the festival. I will be staying in the Galleria area. Just wondering, does anyone know if there are any kind of shuttles that will be going from that area. Would sure be nice if there was and would save the headache of driving and parking.
Your hotels should be able to tell you if they have shuttle service.

I went to this show last fall. It is HUGE!! Make a shopping list before you go. It will be easy to impulse buy. I bought a Janome serger at the show. I think I got a good deal but I have not had the nerve to compare after the fact, LOL! It is a great show for shopping for machines and talking to the vendors. Again, take a shopping list with you. And, know your prices for machines prior to attending the show. This way you will know if you are getting a good price. Be informed and print out the machine info you are shopping for.

Bring lots of $$$. Yes, food, parking, and hotels are expensive. Frankly, this is a show that I prefer to be staying close and convenient. I hate to drive all over. But I flew into Houston so my legs were my transporation. Wear comfortable shoes and clothing. As someone mentioned, carry a light purse. I prefer a small purse with a cross-body strap. Safe and convenient.

I carry Zone Perfect protein bars in my purse. It is an inexpensive "meal" with lots of protein. Supplement it with a salad. They have a huge concessions area at the show. Prices are higher but not obnoxiously so. A decent salad cost me around $10 if my memory serves. Definitely worth it. Again, convenience. And you don't waste time looking for a restaurant. And waiting to be seated during lunch hour, etc.

There is a lovely park area outside of the Convention center. Very nice place to take a break and enjoy the weather and they have bands too.

Traveling is always expensive. Period. This show was fun to attend and "worth" it but I probably don't need to do it again any time soon. There are plenty of quilt shows to attend throughout the year.

Have fun!
sandy