View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 06:06 AM
JustAbitCrazy

Originally Posted by mrodarme View Post
i just put a rowenta iron in the trash last week....i was doing quite a bit of ironing, tops & back to go to the quilter...i went & pulled out the cord & the plug was HOT!!!!...i thought maybe i just was running it too long & too high....the next day i switched to my shark, same amt of ironing time...the plug was cool when i pulled it out...tried my rowenta again in another plug; same thing...very hot to the touch....i decided it wasnt worth it...i did inspect the cord, no cracks, opening, bends, etc...i wont get another...its not worth the risk...shame on rowenta for their carefree attitude...i wonder their reply if it was their house that burned.....monica in texas
Anytime an electrical plug is hot it is a MAJOR hazard! You were wise to toss it. It would have caught fire right there. The junction between the plug and the wires inside the cord is fragile, and easily broken if anyone pulls the cord out by grasping the cord, instead of the plug, as they should. We had a toaster catch fire in exactly that way once, for exactly that reason. The rest of the family listens to me now, and grasps the plug, not the cord. I'm not saying that's what you did, but I know a fire would have been the result. You could have also had a new cord and plug put on, but it was not safe to use when the cord and plug were getting hot.