View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 10:49 PM
ShellyQ

Patrice is right Quilt design Wizard does not allow you to draw your own blocks, Here is a link to a little bit of information about it http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/QDW/QDW.asp I think it would be a great program if you wanted to try out if you're not sure what you're after and want to trial something as it has a much smaller price tag than EQ

I personally bought EQ5 mainly because I am so far away from customer support for these programs and EQ5 seemed like it would be easier to self maintain than EQ6 and it has similar features. Overall I am very pleased with it, you can design your own blocks, trial different layouts and colours all without having to use copious amounts of time and colouring little bits of paper. It works with Microsoft Word and Publisher in that I can export a snapshot of a quilt or block into these programs allowing me to send an email of said item to a friend even if they don't have EQ.

It will give you a rotary cutting list for a selected block, thereby eliminating the math, all of which I used to do by hand. Mind you I'm not sure eliminating the math is good for me, makes me even lazier :lol: It will pintout foundation patts for a suitable block, tho sometimes I can't get it to print what I want cause I use partial peicing so I can foundation piece some blocks you wouldn't normally do that way and EQ just does not understand this :lol:

My main gripe with it is that it doesn't have an isometric grid for working on 60 degree based designs. You can force it to do some but it takes alot of math and fiddleing around. It does have a 60 degree triangular grid under one patch designs but you can't use that to design blocks with. I tried to force it but it was having none of that :lol: Mind you as far as I can tell none of the quilt design programs do either. I think I will have to go to a CAD program for the isometric grid I want. Any suggestions on that would be great.