Old 08-22-2012, 08:12 AM
MamaO2011

Well, I started washing yesterday. Everything is out on my porch in boxes, which is appears many of the fabrics have been in for some time. I'm using some OxyClean I had on hand, along with my regular detergent and a cup of vinegar. Everything is coming out very neutral smelling right now. I did get some ammonia yesterday just in case the vinegar didn't work, but so far I haven't needed the ammonia.

Odoban is fabulous. When I was in the Marine Corps, it was sort of the unofficial cleaner for us. We used it for everything and it does smell great. I have used it for pet urine in the past as well, so I'm sure it probably would work for smoke as well.

I have an unused dog run outside that I could put stuff out on to line dry; hadn't thought of that, but I am sure it would do wonders as well!

For all the lace, etc., do you think I could put them into a lingerie bag and wash them with the vinegar on a gentle cycle, instead of doing the newspaper idea someone suggested? I'm not sure what I'll do with all that lace, but I saw an idea on pinterest of making shorts out of jeans that are too short in the leg, but still fit around the waist. My girls would love that, so I'm hoping to use some of it for that purpose. I'm thinking it might be good for pillows as well, but it definitely needs the smoke removed before coming into the house. I smelled just from bringing it from outside on my porch back to my washer!

Oh, and someone offered condolences. Grandma Verna hasn't passed away, but she has been in and out of the hospital the last year or so. I think her daughter (my sister-in-law's mother-in-law) has just talked her into starting to downsize things from the house that she no longer has the energy to use. It was very nice of them to think of me to pass everything to! There's so much fabric, I will be washing, drying and ironing for years! LOL