View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 11:17 AM
JustAbitCrazy

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
All these posts are making me rethink leaving my GE plugged in all the time. It has automatic shut off but the light is always on, indicating that it's plugged in. (My kids come to the house, see the light, think I've forgotten it, and unplug it!)
Maybe it's not safe to leave it plugged in for long periods.
It's not safe to leave electrical appliances plugged in when not in use. If there is a power surge, the items can get ruined. While plugged in and not in use, they are still consuming some electricity and running up your bill (for nothing). An electrical appliance can start a fire while not in use, and only plugged in, even if no one is at home. People have had their homes burned to the ground in exactly that way. You don't think that by leaving an inexpensive item (like a toaster) plugged in that you are entrusting to it the safety and welfare of everyone and everything in the home, but you are. In my home only major appliances and clocks are left plugged in all the time, plus a few lamps which are plugged in behind large pieces of furniture (bed, couch), making it hard to access them. Anything small or which can be easily unplugged (like my washing machine and clothes dryer) is always unplugged when not in use.