View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 07:54 PM
MissTreated

I've been AWOL for awhile, been up to my eyebrows in a BIG project. As some of you know, I'm a volunteer with Casting For Recovery, a non-profit organization offering fly fishing retreats to women who have had breast cancer. The gentle motion of fly fishing is therapeutic to surgical sites. It is also a great way to get women back in touch with the outdoors and get to relax a bit. If you know of any woman who is a breast cancer survivor and would like to participate in a retreat, steer her to http://www.castingforrecovery.org/. There are many retreats all over the U.S. and she can apply on line.

Anyway, all that said, we find we need to do a lot of outreach. So this year, I birthed a brain-child... "Foundations for Recovery" (my friend, Cheryl named it). I wrote a mini-grant and got Wal-Mart to donate 25 bras for the project, and had them distributed to local artists. The bras had their showing last night at a First Friday event at one of the local galleries. They'll be around town at other venues throughout the month of October (breast cancer awareness month) and then the First Friday in November, we'll collect them back for a final showing and silent auction, hopefully making enough dough to pay for our project.

So here's the 23 bras that made their way back to me. I got a LOT of help from 3 friends and fellow volunteers. It was hard work, very time consuming but we had a great time!

I'll post a few at a time.

Here's mine... "Pole Dancer"

"Alaska Woman's Training Bra"

"Alaska's 50th"

"Amazon Jungle"

"Colorful Cups"