View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 05:02 AM
franc36

One thing that really helped me with binding is a tip I learned here--wrap your binding around something like the cardboard from a toilet paper roll, put a ribbon or cord through it and tie it around your neck. This allows the binding to come off without any twists. I use a roller that is much heavier than the one which comes out of toilet paper; but it is about that size. Another thing I do is cut, press the binding, and roll it on the cardboard roller before I start piecing the quilt top. (I see now that lots of people are no longer pressing the binding.) When it is time to apply the binding, everything is ready and I'm excited to be putting on the finishing touches. I sew the binding to the front, trim the excess fabric and batting, and have a relaxing time hand sewing the back of the binding as I watch TV. I have The Binding Tool which makes joining the binding easy. The two things that made me not like binding was that I had so much trouble joining the binding and the fact that my binding was getting so twisted as I tried to sew it on. With those two problems solved, I love, love, love sewing on binding. I do enjoy hand sewing, perhaps that helps. I hope that you will soon learn to enjoy putting on binding. Really, it is fun!