View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 05:08 AM
jcrilley

Originally Posted by WA Vet View Post
I am new to this board and want to ask you all, how many of you wonderful quilters have your quilting/sewing rooms in the basement? There is a possibility in the not too distant future that we will be moving from California to Washington and the only logical option for my new creative space will be the basement. Thank you.
I would love to have the walk out basement with natural light or the extra bedroom for my sewing room, but I don't. I have mine in my windowless basement that has painted block walls, then insulated and dry-walled. It's well lighted, has heat and/or air conditioning, vinyl floors (easy to run dust mop) lots of outlets, a small sink and shelving. When we painted the block walls it cut down the natural dampness of the basement and in my dry-walled room, dampness is not an issue at all. I keep the door closed (no cat hair!) when I'm not in there and it stays nice and dry. I don't have a long arm but do have a Viking Mega Quilter on a grace frame in the main part of the basement. No problems with that either. Your basement sewing area will work out fine as long as your basement does not have water issues.
Also the stairs are good exercise for me!