View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 10:35 AM
burchquilts

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Okay, a little background, first. My daughter is 2-1/2 years older than my son. When my son was born, we always cautioned my daughter to be careful around him; he was a baby. She took that advice, to heart. Too much to heart. One day, when my son was about 3, my daughter came to me, crying. She told me DS kept hitting her and she was afraid to hit him back, since he was "the baby." I advised her to defend herself and when he hit her, to hit him right back (trust me, she wasn't big enough to actually hurt him). Not to "hurt" him but rather to show him the error of his ways . . . and that if he made a habit of hitting people, they're gonna hit back! Better to nip it in the bud, IMO. So she ran back upstairs, a determined little girl. Short while later, DS comes downstairs, all in tears (with DD trailing after). I asked him to tell me what happened. He stopped crying, then started telling the sequence of events, re-enacting this little drama . . . he did this, she did that, he did such-and-such, "and then SHE HIT ME!" With that, he smacked himself on the side of the head and went stumbling half-way across the room, fell to the floor, then started crying for all he was worth! Oh, he was good! Well, I slapped my hand over my mouth, as quickly as possible . . . but it was useless. Needless to say, the child was not hurt . . . and once he realized I was laughing, he gave it up and started laughing, himself (with many repeats of the famous slap and stumble). Children! Gotta love 'em! Oh, and that was the last time, he hit his sister.
That reminds me of my two. My DS is 4 years older than my DD so when she was born, we went to great lengths to explain to him that she was a little baby & that he had to be extra-careful with her. Andrew is a lover & not a fighter to begin with so we weren't particularly worried but we warned him just to be on the safe side. Andrew might've been a sweetheart, but Cara Leigh was a terror (at that time -- she's since grown into the worl'ds best DD). One afternoon Andrew was asleep on the couch. Cara Leigh was playing with her toy sweeper. All of a sudden I heard "whap" & Andrew started crying. I went in the living room to see what had happened & Cara Leigh was standing over her brother with her sweeper still raised in the air. She'd whacked him over the head! I asked her why & she said "He was sleeping & I'm not sleepy". Yep... the baby sister he needed to be so careful with had whupped up on him! Nowadays, if he's teasing her, she'll say to him "Watch it... I still have that sweeper"... LOL!