View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 10:58 AM
carolstickelmaier

If you add 10" to top and bottom you will have a length of 70" .... 50 + 10 + 10 = 70
so you would need 5 horizontal blocks and 7 vertical blocks
At least if I understand your question correctly.....

Originally Posted by bevster View Post
O.K. Girls/Guys I have lost it. I have a quilt that starts out with a LARGE BLOCK in the center, it is 50 1/2 x 50 1/2 (the 1/2 is for the seam allowance). I need to add 8 inches (cut 8 1/2) on the bottom of this large center block for placement of lettering. This would make the large center block 58 1/2 X 58 1/2. I can add more at the bottom to even up the figures, but I can't add less.

Now the fun begins - I don't know how to figure what size blocks will fit on the Top and Bottom of this 58 X 58 inch large block? Do I need to add additional inches to the added rectangle at the bottom to insure (whatever size blocks I need) will fit correctly on the top and bottom? I sure hope this makes sense......... i.e. if this block was 50X50 I believe I would need (5) 10 inch blocks horizontal and (5) 10 inch blocks vertically, (of course cut 10 1/2)
HOW DO I FIGURE A 58 x 58 inch square block? Remember I can add more inches at the bottom to make the figures come out evenly.
Thanks fellow quilters -