View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Jo C

Default Quilt Alongs and Mystery Quilts

I've only been quilting seriously since January. Self taught so i theres still tons to learn. The best learning experiences have been quilt alongs and mystery quilts. Theres no pressure, you have a week or even a month to do each block or step. The facitators are happy to answer questions and help you out. I can't recommend them enough to a new quilter. I'm doing 6 of them now rangibg from simple HST blocks, to traditional pieced blocks to paper pieced Civil War blocks. I think the enjoyment of working along with others instead of figuring it out from a book is the motivator. I would have never thought i could paper piece, but i'm learning! Next wek is the last clue on a mystery quilt and i'm finnally starting to see what it's gonna look like! And if you make mistakes, so what, nobody knows but you.
There are lots of quilt alongs or mystery quilts out there and the clues are posted right n the web site or blog. No signing up and commitment....just fun. In September i'm starting a new one...Burgoynne Surrounded...can't wait to learn new skills andend up with a quilt to boot. So come on...lets quilt along!