Thread: Pricing Quilts
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 09:04 PM
stillclock

textile work has long been a radically underpaid trade, in large part because it is traditionally women's work.

the whole horrible concept of piece work - that no matter the labour involved, the finished product is worth x - has been a massive issue in women's labour. we still use piece work concepts in textiles. quilts are one example. beading - especially bridal beading - is another.

but. the market is the dictator, and the ultimate answer has already been given. it's worth what someone will pay.

i always chuckle when people suggest i make quilts for money. at the rate i quilt they'd be worth a college fund or two by the time i delivered them. another time i made a twirly skirt for my girl out of quilt fabrics and someone suggested i sell those. i saw her gulp when i told her there was $45 worth of fabric alone in the skirt, nevermind the labour and potential cost of distribution etc. boo-tique! snork!

ifi make a quilt for you it's because i love you more than words. the chances are i might ask you to help pay for the materials anyway, unless otherwise stated

aileen