Old 08-24-2012, 05:15 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Nancy, I knew you would love that Davis. The decals look to be in very good condition. Typical of Davis NVF having that crackling which is why I state only sewing machine oil.

Your Davis is the first that I have seen with that decal of Bruce Sewing Machine Co., interesting.

I'm so happy you are the new owner of this machine. Enjoy!

Davis machines are excellent machines for straight stitch quilting, and they love flannels.
The thicker the material the better the stitches; they love to work!
Monica, I have tried several times to put the binding on very large quilts using 'Betty' my Davis Vertical Feed (you found her for me). Each time I used Betty, I had to go around the quilt twice! As you know, when doing a 100 + by 100+ quilt that is a lot of work using a treadle. I did it anyway, but have never been happy with Betty's stitches. You remember how long it took me - almost 2 months - to even get that Davis to work? I was getting so frustrated with her - ready to give up - when I finally got a good stitch! She has a perfect stitch through two layers, but adding the quilt sandwhich - 3 layers more - when doing bindings doesn't work for her! I thought it was the quilt pulling, but it isn't that - I have tried and tried to feed her 5 layers - the stitch goes to heck in a hand basket - hence I go around twice! Well, I got tired of that jazz so I don't use her any more to put bindings on!

I have been hesitating about taking Betty out of her treadle and putting in the younger version, but I am really excited to try this new Vertical Feed to see how it does with a binding and quilting! Does your Davis have reverse and that extra knob to lighten the pressure on the foot? This new Davis really amazes me, but I am very partial to my old Davis - I am dragging my feet about doing the switch out! And, yes sewing machine oil for me - I learned on my first Davis what cleaning does to those Davis decals! The old one has no decals left after I cleaned her up a couple years ago!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 08-24-2012 at 05:24 AM.