Thread: The Beast
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 06:00 AM
Caroline S

Default The Beast

Introducing the Beast. No beauty here! He is a 1923 Singer 96-10 industrial sewing machine. According to the manual I found online this machine was used for "cloaks, clothing and other work in cloth. Drop Feed. Speed 3200 R.P.M." Eventually he will get a new paint job as he has had a very hard but useful life.

I took him to the OSMG for a check up as I could not get him to stitch. Well, the OSMG said that the wrong bobbin was in the machine. But even with the correct bobbin the machine would not stitch. After a whole lot of trouble shooting the OSMG discovered the problem. The end of the rotating hook shaft (I think that is the name of the part) is bent, see last picture. It is very perplexing as to how that end could get bent, perhaps it was dropped when being re-mounted in it's table??

I need some ideas as to where to find another shaft. I believe the part number is 52308. Also, I loosened up the set screws that secure the shaft in the bushings. But it will not come out. I figured it would just slide out when the set screws were loosened. NOT. Any ideas on how to remove the shaft??? If I can remove the shaft I will try to have it straightened.
Attached Thumbnails 2012-08-21-singer-96-10-001.jpg   2012-08-21-singer-96-10-008.jpg   2012-08-21-singer-96-10-004.jpg