View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 06:46 AM
x7lillies

Default Hello from Rochester, NY!

Hello Everyone!

My name is Kim and I started quilting about a year ago. I'd done needlepoint and a few applique lap quilts and baby quilts, but nothing large scale or by-the-block. My first foray into quilting a large piece was a full-sized log cabin quilt (blues and greens), which went together nicely. After that, I made another as a gift for my sister that had started out with the intention of being spring colors, but ended up looking more like rainbow sherbet. It wasn't terrible, but color blending lessons learned!

After that quilt, I decided to open an etsy shop to try and sell some of my crafts (really, to fund my quilting habit!), including some dog bandanas for fun. No sales yet, but it's only been about 2 months. I've heard these things take time, and maybe sales will start coming in when people start shopping for the holidays. Also, who buys a quilt in the summer? I think cooler weather will help me out, too.

I have some custom listings, so that I don't have to invest a lot in making quilts I'm not sure I can sell, but I couldn't stand being project-less for too long and made a sunset colors bargello quilt. My largest quilt to date (90" x 90"), it turned out really well! Really square, no major alignment issues, and I even managed to quilt it on my singer! It turned out really nice. Not sold yet, but here's hoping!

In my spare time, I've been making some quilted fabric postcards and some cute one-block-wonder pot holders for the holidays. I've also started on cathedral window pillow covers for my living room. First attempt at those, and I'm finding them therapeutic. Just the right mix of ironing, machine stitching, and hand sewing. Plus, since it's for me, no rush to get it finished

I have to say that quilting for me is like therapy. It keeps me focused on just the quilt, and I can de-stress about whatever's going on in my life by joining pretty pieces of fabric together and making something beautiful. My only complaint is that I wish it were a tad less expensive of a hobby :P

I'm looking forward to having a place to come and share my quilting triumphs and mistakes, and looking forward to seeing what everyone else is up to!

Thanks for reading,
Kim