Old 08-24-2012, 02:38 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I would make sure you try some kind of 'sharp' type needle, not a universal etc. or you may see skipped stitches. You also may have to play with the pressure on the foot so that you don't see skipping. I've been told microtex sharps are the way to go, to avoid skipping but I'm trying to use up what I have. I have the plastic foot from SewClassic and others. It's noisy but does the job. I do have an original, slant walking foot for my 401, but it doesn't fit the feed dogs on the 301. Right, none of the walking feet available (new or vintage) will work as engineered for the 301. So, don't waste your money. The walking feet are made for wider zig zag machines and don't line up properly with the the narrow, straight stitch feed dogs of the 301. You'll see people claim they work great, but just because the foot is pushing fabric through, doesn't mean it's doing what it should;> Many people just release a bit of pressure on the foot and quilt without a walking foot. If I were you, Nancy, I'd just use one of my other machines for machine quilting and stick to the 301 for piecing and FMQing. Though, you may find you prefer your 1222 for FMQing. I like to put my 301's in my card table for FMQing so that it's one flat surface.
Thank you Candace, I usually always use a Sharp needle. I will wait until I have a small project and try FM with the 301.

I just picked up another FW today. It is a black 1940 FW with no accessaries, the lid on the box is gone too, but the machine runs great! I cleaned it up today and oiled it. I paid $125 for the machine! I was happy!

Nancy