Thread: Pricing Quilts
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 03:06 AM
117becca

Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
I quilt because I love it. I quilt for others cheap because I like quilting. I can't afford to buy as many quilt tops as I want and I don't need a closet full of home made quilts that I can't use. So my "perfect" solution is quilt for others. Why would I charge $20/hour to do something that I want to be doing? something that brings me joy and peace and pride? If I didn't have someone else's top to do, I would be bored, and/or spending money on something else.
I quilt for others because I love to quilt, and I charge enough to pay for my next project with the hopes to make some fun money.

I was at a quilt store the other day when a young man came in wanting to know if he could get a quilt made for his bride - they were getting married in about a month. I was standing there w/ the owner and he got a lesson in how long it takes to complete a quilt. I had a sample of a block - intricate block that takes about 45 min to complete.

I was able to break down the cost and time, he understood more. Ironically, the $1000 - $1200 wasn't a problem. I wish I could have done it for him. I have 3 projects in front of when I could start his and that means I'm booked til next summer before I could even get to him.

Told him that his idea would make a great 1st year anniversary present!