View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 03:14 AM
PghPat

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
PghPat, I wish I knew how to post a picture. I have the technology, but not the knowledge.
When you start your binding, the beginning is laying on the quilt. Fold down the top left corner to make a triangle. Some call this the Magic Triangle. This is what you carefully press in place. Then fold your binding in half and start sewing 8-10 inches down from that point.
If you take any two strips and sew them together with the 45 degree seam we usually use, hold them up so that one end will go left and one end will go right. You sew horizontally so that the sewing starts and ends on the sides. You can see the top point is pointing up, and the bottom of that is an angle also. If you sewed that way, from top to bottom, it won't work. That's why I always snap the binding to see if it fits before I cut anything off.
Kay Wood (no relation) does this, but she doesn't pin the ends on. I'm sure I would not get it right if I didn't pin.
Somebody gave us a paper at our quilt club, showing us how to do this, and I don't know where they got it.
I hope you can make sense of this.
HAPPY BINDING
Thank you Mavis......I think I've got it now. I'm going to make a little sample and keep it so I remember. I've done my binding ending something like this but I never ironed that triangle and that seems to make it much easier when you get to the end. I know it is so simple but every single time I get confused all over. I always end up "getting" it but only after a bit of frustration.....LOL.