Thread: Pricing Quilts
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 09:38 AM
MattieMae

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
We seem to be talking about multiple things here...price, cost, value and worth can, and often do, have very different meanings, not to mention interpretations. Interesting topic, bearisgray.
Yes, this is an interesting but confusing topic because of price, cost, value, worth, as well as hobby, business, vintage finds, etc.

I make quilts because I enjoy doing it. The cutting, piecing and quilting makes me happy. I am a bit of a perfectionist and relish the challenge. I buy quality material, but don’t intend to sell anything, so I never considered the monetary value of a gifted quilt.

I’ve been crazy about jigsaw puzzles since I was a kid, and have shelves stacked with puzzle boxes, some quite expensive because they're "collectible." I can pull one out, complete it, undo it, return it to the box, and do it again later. I can’t do that with the quilts. I keep the puzzles and give away the quilts. I consider both a relaxing hobby.

When you sell your quilts is it considered “egg money” or is it taxable income or barter? That would surely make a difference, no? Say it’s etsy or ebay sales that are taxable (don’t know if they are) can you deduct your costs and maybe the price of a new machine? Hmmm.