View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 12:24 PM
AlienQuilter

My favorite machine way is no binding but bring the fabric from the back to the front, tuck under and hem. Depending on the fabric I will use either a straight stitch or a decorative stitch.

For the corners, I use my ruler and place it 1/4" from the corner (tip) and slice it off. I do that by lining up the 45 degree line with the top edge of the top (not the backing). Then I pull the backing fabric back, pretty sides together then sew from the corner to half way from where I cut it. Then finger press seam open and if necessary clip corner to decrease bulk. Pull the fabric back to the front and "pop" that corner out. It's easy then to tuck in the fabric for hemming. That's probably clear as mud. If I can figure out a way to do a video on it, I will or if someone knows of an online video showing this technique that would be great. My dear Mother-in-law showed me how to do this years ago and it's really neat since it makes a mitered corner and it's not bulky in the corner.

Rule of thumb - If I want a 1" hem, I trim the back to 2" from edge of top all the way around then trim corner. Make sure you are 1/4" from corner because of the seam allowance.