View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 12:27 PM
carolstickelmaier

This is what I did..Easy Quick and looks good. Cut 3 1/2 inches off one side. Sew back together mixing the fabrics. Then cut squares in half crosswise of the seam. Now turn one of the halfs around 160 degree so top is now bottom. Besure to mix fabrics. Sew back together. You now have approx. 9 1/2 in sq. Sew them together as you wish. Trick on mixing fabrics if you don't already know. When cutting off section keep piles of fabric intact. Take top fabric and place on bottom of pile...Now each piece will be matched up with a different fabric. I just made a king size comforter out of batiks and I love it. Looks very scrappy. I used 132 different batiks...most of which I had in my stash LOL. A few of my friends filled in the rest. Hope I have explained this so you can understand. If interested and need more info please PM and I will talk you through it. Carol
Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
We took a road trip and DH planned in a side trip for me to Missouri Star in Hamilton Missouri. Bought several beautiful layer cakes and a unique pair of purse handles. Good prices on all of them. One was their deal of the day and was Christmas fabric, $19.95 for 40 ten inch squares. Two black and white ones, 25 ten inch squares for a total of 50 squares $19.99 each and one red and white, 25 ten inch squares also $19.99.

I know I could cut them into fourths and have 5" charms but was wondering if anyone had a favorite layer cake (or dime) pattern. I've been trying to search the internet and browse quilt store book sections but have not found much in the way of patterns just for layer cakes.

Thanks in advance for any help.