View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 07:44 PM
JudyTheSewer

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Please try this way: http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21 So easy and very accurate! (I sew a few big stitches to help hold the paper for the first piece)
This is basically the way I do paper piecing too. I learned the technique from Judy Mathieson on Simply Quilts with Alex Anderson years ago. I never had freezer paper in my house until I started PPing.

The thing Judy M. did different though is she used the sewing machine to perforate the paper which eliminates that "crease the paper on the lines" step. To do that I just print my pattern using my printer. Then I use that printer paper as my pattern and machine "sew" along the pattern lines with a non threaded needle to pierce the paper. (I staple together 8 correctly sized freezer paper sheets under the paper pattern so that don't get any shifting.) If the waxy side of the paper is against the machine bed and is causing problems you can just add a blank piece of printer paper on the bottom to help it glide easier. Set a fairly short stitch but not so close that your paper falls apart at the perforated lines! Once it is all "sewn" release the printer paper sheet on the top from the staples by pulling it off carefully to be used again. I can use it 3 to 4 times before it needs re-printed. Next, on the stack of freezer paper, I cut out on the outside line of the block shape still leaving the staples in to prevent shifting. Finally, remove the staples and you have 8 blocks done with no need to pre-crease the paper. The perforated lines make it easy to fold as you go along. Hint: if your foot is sticking to the waxy side of the FP while doing the construction of the block, just slip a narrow strip of paper between the FP and your foot so that the foot will glide smoothly.

A few days ago I posted a quilt that I paper pieced using the Night and Day block. That has 4 PP sheets per block. So, each time I stapled and sewed I was completing two full blocks for that quilt. If you would like to see it, it is in the Pictures section.