View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 06:17 AM
Scissor Queen

My sewing room is good sized but not huge. I have 4 book cases, 3 of the smallest plastic shelf units, 4 dressers, 2 desks, an Art Bin storage cube tower, and a small table for the tv, 3 rolling chairs and a huge motel dresser/credenza thing.

One dresser is exactly the right height for a cutting table and just needed a bigger top so it has a piece of press wood on top. The top drawer of that dresser has small tools and the other two drawers have half yard and yard cuts of fabric. The second dresser was exactly the right size for an ironing board but it was too short so Son 1 built a riser for the top out of MDF and a 4x4 cut into chunks. The back of that dresser has a type of fiber board on it so I used those Hercules hooks and have my rulers hanging on the back. The drawers of that dresser hold ironing supplies, basting supplies, thread and ribbon and some UFOs. The third small dresser is in the closet and holds UFOs and some finished projects that are listed on Etsy. The fourth dresser is over by the door and is full of fat quarters and third of a yard cuts.

And then there's the credenza. It's from a 40s era motel so it's solid wood and extremely heavy. Empty it weighs about as much as a fridge. We cut the desk off of the end so it's just the drawers. The drawers hold plastic bags and freezer paper in one shallow drawer, in the other shallow drawer are rubber stamps and odds and ends, two of the deep drawers hold my antique linen collection and the other deep drawer has the jelly roll/charm collections.

One of the plastic shelf units holds the printer and all of the "office" type stuff. The other two have my stereo, patterns, small scrap bins, the gallon jug of Best Press, my other iron and misc. stuff.

Three of the bookcases sit on the floor and have fabric on foam core on most of the shelves and patterns in binders and magazines in holders on a couple of the shelves. One of the small bookcases sits on top of the credenza and holds all of my books.

One of the desks is my computer desk and it's always piled full of junk. The other one is a student desk that I keep my Pfaff on. A student desk is a little shorter so it's a good height for a sewing machine.

There are also several organizer type things in here. One is a set of wood boxes with rattan baskets that I got from Lillian Vernon. There are two sets of wood drawer units my mom got from Alco.

You can put a tremendous amount of stuff in a fairly small space if everything has storage. A regular ironing board takes up a whole lot of space but doesn't have any storage. By getting a big board and putting it on a dresser I got a big board and a ton of storage.

Most of the time this room could really stand to be picked up. And I really should go thru all of the stuff stored in here and reevaluate whether I really need it or not. But I'd rather just sew so that never gets done!

I have some pics if you want to see them.