View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 08:00 AM
justflyingin

Default You might remember...

On Oct. 22, 2011, I asked you what you all might do with 4+ boxes of 4" squares (plus some 5" and 6"). Some of you gave me some answers. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t162296.html

Lately, I've had a couple of girls over on Sunday afternoons while their mother is working (dad died suddenly in April). They had indicated interest in some of the charity quilts I give away, but I had never gotten around to actually giving them any. I had this idea...why not let them "make their own"? It will give us something to do on the long Sunday afternoons and evenings when their mother is working (she works a 12 hour shift from 8-8 so I take them home about when she gets off).

So I brought down the ever present boxes of already cut squares (4", 5", 6") and said, "choose about 300-400 squares" and we'll do it.

Well, I had been thinking all the same size, but didn't specify. They chose some 6", some 5" and a lot of 4". I was a bit stumped for a minute, then decided, "Oh, just go for it," so this is what we did. (Where they didn't evenly match, I just chopped the edges off evenly--no delicate figuring and making it work. )

I showed them both how to use the sewing machine (I have my first Pfaff which my DH bought me in 1994 and still works very well and is quite portable). The older one, 11, seemed to do very well, considering and took right to sewing the squares together, reasonably evenly. So, one day, they laid it out and we started sewing it. The next time, we worked on the next batch...of course, each time the older one getting more confidence at using the machine. Today, we did all the outer 4" squares, plus the binding.

I had her sew the squares together in strips and I sewed the strips together, not wanting her to be frustrated. I also sewed the blue bands on. They are both very pleased with this effort. These are actually the squares that the younger one chose--a lot of Disney, some wildlife and various pinks. Now, we will work on the older one's quilt top and when we have them both made, we'll either tie them, or I will FMQ them--I'll ask them, after showing them what that means.

We are all pleased--both of them and me!!! The younger one's favorite color is blue--that's why she has blue bands.
Attached Thumbnails weronikas-quilt-top.jpg  

Last edited by justflyingin; 08-26-2012 at 08:02 AM.