View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 08:03 AM
NanaCsews2

When I pin the blocks together, I pin the points by putting the pin directly on the seams already sewn, not the length of the seam to be sewn. Make sure when sewing blocks together that the seams are pressed in opposite directions of each other. Butt up the seams, pushing them a little tight against each other. Then starting about an 1/8th of an inch from the edge push the pin straight through, not at an angle. Then bring the pin up from the back on the sewn seam and bring straight through to the seam on the top block. All my seams are pinned this way, then in between those seams, I pin going the length of the seam to be sewn. When I take the pins out as the needle gets near the points, I grab my stiletto awl and hold down the fabric as I guide it over the points. However--before I do any final sewing, I lengthen the stitch and 'baste' over the points to make sure they match. It might seem like extra work, but I am not a perfect pro but I want my points matching too so I have learned the hard way to do all these steps every time. I prefer not to rip anything out with those tiny stitches unless I have to.