View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 08:31 AM
DogHouseMom

Yes, before I got a machine with an automatic dual feed (Janome with "accufeed") I was piecing using a regular 1/4" foot on my Husky. I was piecing a lot of looooong strips (30" or so) for the "Omigosh" quilt.

The best method I came up with was to use a glue stick, run a thin line down the edge of one piece, stick the other one to it (and if it's off a bit you can easily lift and replace) then take it to the machine. I HATE using pins so that glue stick was a huge time saver and accuracy tool for me.

You do NOT need to heat set before sewing when you use a glue stick (you do need to heat set if you use liquid elmers glue).

When it's sewn, iron down the seam first and that will "dry" the glue stick. If you applied the stick a little too heavy and it glued the wrong side of the seam line, ironing the seam while still closed will make it easier to separate the seams. I then finger separate first to make sure that no part of the fabric is stuck together at the seam line before I iron the seam open.

I had zero *creep* of the top fabric when I got the end of the strip.

I used a few different glue sticks on several projects, and have not had a problem with it washing out of the fabric. Currently I am using a brand by Avery. But I DO suggest that which ever you purchase, test it first.