View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 05:39 PM
JoAnnGC

Originally Posted by Patchy22 View Post
Hello! ♥

I just acquired a Viking 21A at a rummage sale. I paid...wait for it...$5! It had the case, the box of feet and all that, the manual and even the tags and the stitch wheel thingie if you know what that is. The original owner did a good job at keeping it in great condition and even left in it a stash of German thimbles, scissors and all kinds of neat little odds and ends. Pretty happy over here with my treasure

I've been researching this machine on the internet and cannot seem to find an answer to a question I have. I see a lot of people have the A, B and C cams. I have those three cams, plus a D cam. What does this D cam do? Does anyone know of a place I can find this information? Nothing about this D cam is in the manual. I'll continue to research this, but if anyone knows, let me know. Thanks
That really is a treasure!!! $5.00 is an amazing price. I have two of these little green babies, a 21 and a 21A, one from an eBay auction and one from a Goodwill auction, both bargains at $39.00 each plus shipping. I have the A, B and C cams but have been searching endlessly for the D and E cams. You are so fortunate to have had the D cam included with your Automatic as this was considered an extra accessory that would have been purchased in addition to the A, B and C cams that were included originally with the machine. FYI, at the time these were manufactured from the mid-fifties to early sixties they were considered top of the line and were priced at about $350. I track these on eBay and Goodwill quite regularly and they command big bucks. One sold yesterday on eBay for $390.00 plus shipping and that's not the highest I've seen since I started researching them a few years ago. My 21A is my absolute favorite sewing machine. It is so powerful and sews so beautifully. I love the speed reduction gear too. The cams are so much fun and provide endless possibilities for decorative stitching.

Now the good news...

Although I do not have the D cam (which I am still trying to acquire) one of my machines did come with a D cam stitch chart. It is very tattered and oil-soaked from sitting in the accessory tray where it was stored for many, many years. However I have been able to make a copy of the front and back of it and it is somewhat legible. One side of the chart is for machines that have a lever to control stitch length (like my 21) and the reverse side is for machines that have a stitch length dial (like my 21A). Some of the settings are more legible on one side than the other but as far as I can tell the settings are exactly the same although the illustrations are different. If you would like a copy please PM me with your email address and I will be happy to send it to you. I can also send you information about the Yahoo group dedicated to pre-1980 Husqvarna Viking machines which is also a great source for information.

Oh, one more thing, I highly doubt that you would want to consider doing this once you try using the Viking 21A Automatic, but if you ever decide to part with it I'll be glad to give it a new home where it can be with its siblings

Enjoy!!!