View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 06:51 AM
GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
RAK's are not generally- planned, (random act)
it is not an (event) or a structured activity
anyone at any time can participate (commit a random act of kindness)
you can browse the donations/help wanted sections of forums & send someone something with out expecting anything in return- there are so many things a person can do to just make someone else's moment mean something-be special- be kind- without expectation of reward-or even acknowledgement is what it's all about.
I know we should never tell our RAK but one that I did a few years back still makes me feel good. In 2005 we had a terrible tornado-----60 miles of destruction and 25 lives lost. The closest it came to me was about 8 miles up the road. No matter which path I took to get to my shopping I passed homes destroyed. So on my way to the grocery I pass a stretch of road that lost a dozen homes. Anyway, this one guy kicked right in and built himself a garage type home to have shelter. The planning commission gave him tons of grief because the footings weren't up to snuff for a home, this wasn't right for a proper home, that wasn't right-------on and on. The tornado was Nov. 6 and on Valentine's Day a few months later the guy was outside his HOME tackling the long list of "to do"s from the planning commission.

Every time I drove thru this area I cried. When the homes started returning I cried. When I saw the residents I cried. So the guy is near his drive way, and God whispered in my ear to stop and offer something. Since I can't help him with his troubles I simply handed him a $20 and told him to buy a couple nice steaks for him and his wife on Valentine's day. (not even sure he had wife).

Valentine's day ought to be day of some joy----------but when a person is rebuilding from a tornado, joy may be hard to find. I hope I gave him some. If nothing else, I left him scratching his head!

Like I said, we shouldn't brag. And I hope this does not sound like bragging. It's just something that hit me and I've felt good about it ever since.