View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 09:12 AM
GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by Prissnboot View Post
My stepson is autistic and when he gets nervous, or if there's a loose thread on a shirt or ANYTHING, he will mess with it and fuss with it until he's torn the garment or whatever apart into pieces. When he was younger, my husband said many days he would come home from school in a different shirt than what he wore to school.

He is turning 20 this Sunday, and I am thinking of making some potholder sized squares and then stitching fancy stitches in it and leaving the tails of the thread loose, so he can pick at these when he's nervous - what do you think?

He's been preoccupied with many things lately and obsesses over them, and has started tearing things up again. I've thought about doing this before but just haven't done it, and with his birthday coming up, I thought this might be a good thing to do.

I know one of you out there has autistic children - I would love to hear all of your opinions....

Thanks,
Gina in Kingwood TX

My 11 year old grandson is autistic. I do know that you have to do what works for your child, so it sounds like you are on to something! Good luck.