Old 08-27-2012, 09:28 AM
dublb

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
When I did the first sides I made the borders a bit larger and measured them to fit like I would s strip of fabric that wasn't quilted. The last borders were more tricky. The cornerstone was quilted so I could trim it down and I joined it to a strip of quilted border that again was longer than needed. After I got these two joined, I carefully measured the center of the quilt from joining strip to joining strip, added 1/4 inch seam allowance, took a deep breath and cut the border strip. I then joined the last cornerstone to the border, sewed the joining strips to the quilt body and fitted the two pieces together. All the while I was making sure that one edge of the border was even for sewing to the quilt body. My first cornerstone I made was a star but the points would have been cut off so I changed to simple squares and if I look close, the outer squares are a bit smaller because they were trimmed to square up the quilt.

Short story, I made all of the border strips longer and measured them after quilting like I would if I were assembling in a traditional way.
Great info! Thanks for lettin' us know!