View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 AM
cat-on-a-mac

Default 11-minute flowers .... 14-month quilt?

Way last summer I posted some blocks I had made using all batiks, based on the 10-minute block, with a slight variation to make them look like flowers. I did a short tutorial at the time (here's a link)

Well, I finally am finishing up a quilt made from these blocks. I still have to do the binding, but wanted to share; I'M SO GLAD TO BE (nearly) DONE! It's king sized, so it was quite a challenge to quilt on my regular sewing machine, even though I have one with a large harp space. I used the split batting method to quilt it, first doing the middle diagonal section of 5 large blocks, then adding the sides. I wanted this to me as much like a comforter as I could make it, so I used high-loft polyester batting.

Here's the best view of the pattern; the picture was taken when I had 2/3 of it quilted:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]358322[/ATTACH]

Here it is on a bed. My room is too small to see the whole thing!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]358323[/ATTACH]

The quilting in the side triangles shows up in this picture which is rather over-exposed:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]358324[/ATTACH]

Here's a closer view of one of the large squares:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]358325[/ATTACH]

And last picture: The Olympics were on while I was deciding what to quilt in my yellow centers. The Olympic logo style seemed to match the quilt perfectly, and I get the year permanently stitched into my quilt. My husband helped me create a template so I could repeat this design. In fact, he ended up buying me a small router and building me a small router table, so I can make templates out of thin plastic. He's a gem! Here's one of the centers:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]358326[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1010004.jpg   p1010002_2.jpg   p1010008_2.jpg   p1010005_2.jpg   p1010006_2.jpg