Old 08-27-2012, 03:51 PM
azwendyg

Default FMQ Design for French Braid Accent Squares

OK, so I'm not sure if this qualifies as a tutorial or not, but here goes...

I spend quite a bit of time figuring out FMQing designs/motifs to use on my quilted pieces using my domestic machine. I only started FMQing 3 years ago or so, have spent a ton of time practicing in addition to quilting assorted quilt tops, tote bags/purses, table runners, and consider myself an "intermediate" level FMQuilter at this point. I've still got a lot to learn but feel like I'm developing my own preferences style.

I want to share with you the process I went through to come up with a "new" design. Please let me know if you like to see this kind of information. If you all enjoy seeing it, I can post more as I work on projects...

This is a design I made up and it evolved into what it is after spending a couple of hours designing/practicing with a pencil and sketch pad. (I know...this design is pretty simple...why did it take so long...LOL)

Yesterday I pieced and sandwiched a french braid table runner for a wedding gift, quilted some of my favorite feathers up the "braids", and I've been working on coming up with a FMQing motif to use in the 2" accent squares. (I have it drawn up and will post a pick of it stitched out tonight or tomorrow on this same thread.)

This first picture shows the process of drawing/stitching out the design a step at a time:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]358427[/ATTACH]

And this one is a sketch of the placement on the accent squares:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]358428[/ATTACH]

Feel free to copy and use as desired!
Attached Thumbnails fmq-2inchsqdesign_0001.gif   fmq-2inchsqdesign_0002.gif  

Last edited by azwendyg; 08-27-2012 at 03:53 PM.