View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 07:08 AM
mythreesuns

Default Tips for washing quilts...

I have seen where people show stains on their quilts from fabric bleeding. I want to pass on a tip I learned 32 years ago. I use to work in the laundry dept at our local nursing home. So we washed many different items. Including patients personal quilts, clothes and etc. We also had different size washers and dryers. The very first thing that was taught to me..and I have used since then is... a household washer should NOT be used for anything bigger then towels. Most household washers can only handle up to 21 pounds of fabric. That is 21 pounds wet.. not dry. So no quilts, blankets or covers of any kind ever went into the regular washers. They showed me a test to prove why..To test this, place safety pins on the quilt, place that part into your washer first. When it is done, take it out..are the pins still on the bottom? If so....it didn't really wash...just got wet. The other thing I was taught, was if the load is to big for a washer, the stain we are trying to get out, can end up pressed against a clean area and stain that area also. As to heavy of items can not move freely inside. To this day, I take all mine to the laundromat...and I have never used a color catcher ever and have never had an issue with staining. Even on the red and white quilt I made. The backing was all white..and still is. So test your washer and see how the safety pins do!!! They taught me to try this when washing a load of towels at home also....if the first towel in..is still at the bottom... are they really clean??