View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 03:02 AM
Sandygirl

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I agree with BellaBoo. Start by making a list of your 'needs'; 'wants'; 'dreams'. Then let your fingers do alot of walking on your keyboard. I use a spreadsheet for this type of effort. A list of features down the side and then the various machines across the top. Color code your categories if that helps. Then just put checks, x's or whatever in each spot that the machines you select in the appropriate boxes. Put the price on the bottom. Then see which machines fit your needs and your budget. And certainly consider the dealer(s) you have local to you. Test drive the machines that best fit your needs and see how you get along with the dealer and all of their staff. Talk to the person who actually does the service and repairs on the machines. Talk to a couple different repair folks if you can. See if you can determine if they are 'brand loyal' to the dealer they are working for or if they give you an honest opinion regardless of brand. And don't be afraid to consider a used machine. I know there are a few older high end machines on CL in my general vicinity for some really good prices. As long as I could make arrangements with the seller to have it ok'd by the service person of my choice, I wouldn't hesitate. It really shouldn't be any different than buying a used car from that perspective. All that said, I bought a new Viking Platinum when I was in the market a number of years ago now. I do all the same type sewing that you mentioned and have never had an issue with it. More $$ then than your current budget but wouldn't hesitate to recommend the brand.
Excellent info. Get educated first. Price is the budget but all manufacturers have machines in that range.

Once I figure out what features etc I want, I find myself gravitating to the machines that ffer that and one that that has good ergonomics. If it feels comfortable for me to sit and sew, that helps me make a decision. Dont just watch a dealer demo the machine, tell them that you want to do a test sew. When I was shopping for a machine, the dealer rarely offered to let me sit down and sew on it. I should not have to ask to do so.

You will be spending hours with the machine...you have to feel comfortable with it. Like buying a car, get familiar with different models you have determined to be in your top 3-4 contenders . Don't rush into your Decision. Once you decide what machine to purchase...."sleep on it". The next day, If you feel that you have made the right one, then start negotiating price with the dealer. They have wiggle room on the price. Don't be shy!

Oh, check out Pattern Review to read machine reviews of the ones you are considering. And search this board for input.

Sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 08-30-2012 at 03:13 AM.