View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 04:52 AM
Freddie

If you go back to my answer above, I said that the 1/4 or scant 1/4 in not important. You can stitch it at 1/2 or 1 inch if you like. However, you have to cut it, so that you end up with the size of block you are interested in. So, in other words, if you want 1 inch seams, cut your pieces accordingly. You can always draw the block out and then add 1 inch around each individual piece and you have it. However, don't try it with a purchased pattern, because the blocks are designed for a 1/4 ( or scant 1/4 or whatever the pattern suggest ). Remember that the quilt will become heavier, the larger the seamallowances are. Also more material, but again, you can do what you want, especially when you design your own blocks. It will be harder to make points with wider seamallowances too. The quilt will come out the same size, as long as you keep the same allowances all over. (Remember, you added the difference all around each piece, not only on the outside).
If you don't know what I mean, pm me and I will try to draw it out. No question is dumb, but sometimes it takes us a while to grasp what is asked. Easier to talk to someone face to face.

[QUOTE=Sierra;5477670]
I also don't fret if I can't exactly meet the given dimensions of a pattern. For the most part (I said MOST not all) it just doesn't matter.... and later......This is a hobby to be enjoyed, not to get tangled up in stuff that gives people stress.

Well, I really am dumb. I was dumb enough to ask once before on a QB thread about why 1/4" exactly is so important. No one answered me. Is that because I simply should know? or no one really knows? Or, is it because I don't use patterns (I'm dyslexic and it takes me way too long to try to follow a pattern) so I study a quilt I like and do it with my own colors and my own twists. About 1/4 inch seems to work, so I use about 1/4 inch, but I can't see why 3/8 wouldn't be ok or even 1" if the person had trouble keeping to the very small 1/4". I realize the quilt might come out a bit larger or smaller than predicted if you don't use 1/4" but does that really make any difference. I've made a log cabin quilt with probably closer to 3/8" just because I was new to quilting and was nervous. I'm sure I cut the end off a few logs because it was too long, and probably cut the edges down on the last log because the square was too big (bigger than the first one which became my guide). Sooooo.....? What am I missing here?