View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Sewnoma

Default I'm haunted by vintage sewing machines

I keep seeing vintage sewing machines everywhere now. On TV, and in every thrift/charity shop in town.

One shop right down the road has a Singer clone (erroneously marked as a Singer) for $100. Seems to work (moves freely, tag says tested & working), has lots of bobbins and accessories and a nice curved wooden case...but it's beat to heck, decals are worn nearly off, and not at all pretty so I passed. But it keeps on calling to me anyway, even though I really don't have any place to put it or any use for it and it's not pretty enough for me to want to display it. Craziness!! I hope someone else hurries up and buys it!!

I told myself that if I find one that's just so pretty I have to have it, that's okay. I'll buy it. OR if I find an old working Pfaff 332 just like the one Grandma taught me to sew on, I'd definitely buy that. I know I can find them on ebay, but I figure I will wait for one to come to me.

Anybody else haunted by cool old machines that you just can't have? Even the funky plastic-body turquoise blue ones from the 70's appeal to me. I wish I had a 4,000 square foot house or a giant old barn so I could collect all the neat stuff I'm always getting a hankering for. I could totally become one of "those people" you see on the "picker" shows, LOL.