View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 09:27 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by flawhoopi View Post
Someone has "gifted" me a Singer 337, in the cabinet, and froze up!
My question is, is this a work horse? Is it worth the cost of repairs or should I kick it to the road? Is it worth having repaired? I already have 2 Singers, 1 White,1 Montgomery Ward, 1 Viking770 and a Singer Treadle 27. It's not like I really need another one! But I would hate to throw a good one away.Thanks for any info on this machine, Oh and it's Blue.
For a rusted machine with metal insides, I use Liquid Wrench Penetrating oil, sewing machine oil, Tri-Flow, and as a last resort kerosene. Kerosene makes a wonderful flush to remove the remaining debris.
I also use heat to assist the oils in freeing up stuck parts.

As for the 337 I suspect but don't know for sure that it is all metal inside, but pull the top, open the face plate and look at the bottom to be sure. If it's metal you can heat it, flush it with most anything, and even tap on things "gently" to get them to move. Once they start moving pour the oil or solvent to it and keep moving it.

That's basically what I do.

IF the machine NOT rusted, then I pull the top, the face plate and the hand wheel and check it for thread wrapped up in the mechanism. That will jam up a machine right tight.

Joe