View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 08:29 AM
JEM2012

Default Baby quilt question

I am planning to make a baby quilt for a friend of mine who is having a shower at the end of this month. It needs to be simple, since I don't have a lot of time to work on it! She is having a girl, and they've painted the nursery sky blue.

Since they are naming the baby Rose, I thought a French Roses quilt would be perfect. I was thinking of using the Moda "A Walk in the Woods" fabric line, since it is girly, but has a light blue color in it. http://www.unitednotions.com/fcc_a_w..._the_woods.pdf

Would this fabric and pattern work together? Most of the french roses quilts I've seen are very pastel, and this line has a bright red in it, which I'm a little worried about. But I am having trouble coming up with a set of fabrics that is cute for a baby girl but includes light blue, since that's usually a boy color!

I've ordered the pattern, but want to go ahead and order the fabric so that I can get started! Has anyone made this pattern, and if so, do you know how much fabric I would need for a crib-sized quilt (approx. 40 x 55)? I was hoping that a layer cake would be sufficient for the roses, and then I could just order yardage (which I can calculate) for the squares, backing, and binding, but I can't find anything that says what size the squares are. If they're less than 10", it seems like a layer cake would work (estimating 20 squares, or roses). If anyone has the French Roses pattern by Heather French and could tell me the block size, I would really appreciate it!!