Old 09-01-2012, 03:24 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
pumpkinpatchquilter,

The White Family Rotary is a good machine. But I know nothing about converting them to a hand crank.
I suspect the answer may be yes, but I'd have no idea where to look for the parts.

Singers and clones on the other hand, at least those with the motor mount boss directly under the hand wheel, can be easily converted to a hand crank.

The reasons someone might want to convert a machine to hand crank are many.
> I just want to.
> I'm going somewhere with no electricity and I don't have the room/ability to take my treadle machine.
> I want to sew slow and controlled.
> I think they look cute.
> Hand cranking is fun ... just ask Muv.
> I'm sure there are more.

Singer sold hand crank machines long ago and you could buy the conversion parts to do it yourself. You can still buy Chinese reproduction crank kits that look pretty good. While at Miriam's shop last Tuesday I had the opportunity to examine a Chinese unit. Not too bad. Since I don't have any hand cranks I'm going to buy a kit and turn my Singer 99K, Rusty into a hand crank. Should be fun.

Joe
Joe saw it setting there and asked if it was original. I said no it was a repro - he said he didn't want no cheap Chinese junk so he looked at it anyway - they aren't bad - just aren't as nice as an original. I got mine at Sew-classic - pick up a finger guard while you are at it unless you don't mind being vaccinated...