Old 09-01-2012, 06:37 AM
laynak

Exclamation My old batting scraps are the biggest problem!

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
Adds to the electric bill, but I run the dehumidifier as much as I can. On low, so it runs when it needs to. Made a big difference in our downstairs, where all the fabric and batting is. I store insulbrite and the silver heat resistant fabric in a drawer all by themselves because of the 'odor' they have. I also put honeysuckle or lilac candles (never light them) in our family room, which is right off the sewing rooms. Walmart and others carry DampRid, which I haven't tried yet. Curious if they work. http://www.walmart.com/ip/FG90-DampR...Pouch/15033117
I have asthma so I cannot have anything with strong odors or musty damp smells. Even the tiniest bit of moisture in the air and I have to up my daily dose of Advair. On the lowest dose 1x a day because of the dehumidifier on the Central Air and the stand alone dehumidifier. If you use starch, check where the over spray goes. This can accumulate on the flooring or walls, which can bring on odors and the bugs.
I bought some Insulbrite a couple of months ago and went to check if it had an odor. Not noticeable and it's stored by itself. But then I got brave and did a 'sniff test' to every drawer/box/container in my room. My poor nose!
A couple of cloth/cardboard boxes in the closet with older fabrics smelled a bit musty. And, the dresser drawers that get hardly any air can use some freshening up. But what had the most noticeable smell is a Rubbermaid clothes hamper that contains my old batting scraps that I've saved up now for a few years (it's full). Though it has air holes, I think all it accomplishes is passing on a stale storage smell. Yuk.
That'll be my main target for elimination and odor control.
A big roll of batting I have in the closet is enclosed in plastic so I didn't open that up to smell it. But, I think with the plastic around it, it's not the culprit.
Whoever can tolerate a sniff test to all their drawers & storage places, it's a worthwhile undertaking, I suppose!