View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 02:45 PM
auntpiggylpn

My sewing room is a 9" X 10" bedroom with a closet. I know exactly how you feel. It feels like every square inch of this room is jam packed with stuff. I did finally take some things (tubs of fabric, floor quilting hoop, etc) and put them in the guest bedroom. It opened my room up little bit but I still have an ironing board, cutting table, sewing desk, 3 bookcases full of nicely folded fabrics, a cabinet for machine storage and other things and a 6 drawer Sterilite on wheels. There is nothing that I feel that I can do without at this time. It does seem to get cluttered quickly but I have learned that I have to put things away when I am finished with them and I have to clean up more frequently when I am working on something. I know this set up won't be forever, we plan on moving within the next 5 years. My sewing room is my haven from the rest of the house and occupants. Maybe you just need a break from your room or even quilting for a moment. I took a break at the end of June, just to re-ground myself. I spent the first week of July organizing my room. I did cull out lots of fabric that I knew I would never use and donated it. I re assessed everything that I had and how much I really needed the things that I had. I put myself on a buying freeze until I make a dent in my already overwhelming stash. No more patterns, rulers, anything. I have only sewn 1 quilt since I reorganized and that was because it was a gift for someone special. If I were you, I would just take a step back for a moment and regroup. I wouldn't get rid of anything until you have thought about it long and hard. Then if these items are still making you unhappy, rid yourself of them. It may be a lot of money but your inner self is more important. These things can be replaced down the road if you decide you need them again.