View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Sheddah

Default Help! How Many Machines Does One Need?

I have a 28 year old Necchi 549 which has served me well. During that time I replaced the motor belt and top tension assembly. It is now showing it's age and the top stitching is wobbly. The company went out of business over 10 years ago and parts are mostly unavailable. I have a lot of alterations to do and began quilting this summer, so I searched for a replacement machine.

I found a Husqvarna Viking Platinum 750 through a lady on Craigslist who had listed a different machine initially. I had done research on Vikings and the brand was high on my list of possibilities (if made in Sweeden). This machine was made in Sweeden and came with a Viking walking foot, Viking stippling foot and an 18x24 clear acrylic extension table for a great price after a bit of haggling. I bought it.

After sewing different things on it, I have discovered that it will not sew over garment seams when hemming without whining and balking. When it finally makes it over the hump the stitches are tiny. On the other hand, I found that I can do FMQ on it easily without any problems. Are most machines made today for one specific type of sewing? I really just want one machine that can do it all!

What are your experiences with a Bernina Record 830? Is this a machine that can sew over multiple thicknesses without hesitation as well as handling FMQ beautifully? I like that it can sew standard buttonholes, blind hem, and sew the blanket stitch. These are features I want/need also.

Can you recommend other machines that have all of these abilities. I don't need electronic or computerized--mechanical is fine--but reliability and longevity IS important to me.

Thanks so much for reading!
Sheddah