Old 09-02-2012, 05:05 AM
Yarn or Fabric

Question Ceiling tile or foam insulation design wall - anyone have one?

A few days ago I came upon this video on spray basting... I'm sure it was thanks to this forum
http://www.youtube.com/<wbr>watch?v=nwV8tUkhxUM&feature=rel<wbr>ated

But it got me thinking about spray basting which I do plan to do from now on since I no longer have my Bailey midarm machine & frame but that's another story in itself...

I currently have a piece of felt thumb tacked to the wall. It is too small for its own good. It's big enough for a small baby quilt or art quilt but that's about it. If you are making a lap quilt or bigger, it is worthless and I go to putting the pieces on the floor instead.

I want to be able to wall spray baste and use it as a design wall even though hubby has said that he thinks spray basting in the room would just leave glue particles floating around the room and maybe I can spray baste in the garage instead... I'm not sure if I should put up two walls - ceiling tiles or foam insulation in the garage and my craft room design wall or just do the design wall and not worry about glue particles and fumes floating about.

I know from experience that I probably need something that can have pins put in to it - unlike my piece of felt thumb tacked to the wall - because if a block or section of a quilt is too heavy it just falls off so pinning in place would be a nice thing.

My question is does anyone use styrofoam insulation boards or ceiling tiles as your design wall? If you are using the ceiling tiles do you cover them with flannel or something else? I have a rather large wall that I can use so I'm hoping to be able to get enough of a design wall for a queen sized quilt to be displayed on the wall. That would be really helpful for me