View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 06:59 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

i don't quite get the 'avoid flannel' statement---i have 5 neices & 3 granddaughters (and a few of their friends) who all have 'drag around- picnic-sleep over- build forts- never leave home without them' quilts---every single one of them have a flannel side- a couple have flannel as parts of the tops too. they love their quilts- they live with their quilts- in over 10 years i've only had to repair one...it tore on a nail-
i double stitch some seams- if i think they are in an area that will take alot of pulling/pressure/abuse. other than that- i use good quality fabrics- nice, heavy double sided flannels, good strong thread, machine pieced, machine quilted- poly batts that hold up well through lots of abuse & lots of laundering. I've never (restricted) their laundering habits...i know at least a couple of them are going to the laundrymat & tossed in with everything else- in big triple loaders...the quilts take it just fine. they get washed with a regular cycle- they get tossed into the dryer- then they go make a new fort- or have a picnic- or go camping...a couple of the girls wait at the dryer for their quilt to come out (one i know of) has to have it (sneaked into the laundry) when she is un-aware---like when at school...I've always told them- use them- if they wear out i will make them a new one.