View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 10:45 AM
romanojg

I have a small room as well. I would never consider getting rid of my cutting table, I do fold one of the two sides down now since I put a fold out over the door ironning board by it. I don't keep a large ironnig board up because I don't need a large one as much. I will go to the kitchen island to iron if I need a larger space or I have a piece of thin cabinet board covered with batting and muslin and hung on the wall by wire. I can use it as an extra design wall or take it down and put it on the cutting table and iron on it when I need the larger space. I use under the cutting table for storage as well. I have one wall with a bookcase that I went to Home depot and got more shelves cut and then the pegs to put them in so that I now have more shelves on it and can separate fabrics more. Also on that wall I have the cube bookcases with 9 cubes to each and most have a canvas cube in it that holds different things. I have 4 of them; two on the bottom and two stacked on top. This gives lots of storage. I have my sewing machine desk in the middle of the room to one side and a chair on each side, for each machine. I just recently switched this to my sewing room since it's just a little bigger than the prior room was. I have box of fabric that I haven't had a chance since it was given to me to go thru it; it's in the hall closet. I wouldn't get rid of anything, if need be store in totes in another closet or space. Since I moved my room around and put the fabric, most of it anyways, on the shelves I now see stuff I'd had for yrs and forgot about it in totes. I even found about 10 spools of embroidery thread I bought last yr at the show. I find now I want to sew more since I'm kind of organized but all the way there yet. I like the fabric that now if I need a fabric I can look on the shelf for that color family and its easier to find what I need. I do have all of my Christmas fabric in one of those zippered bags you get with you bed comforter sets and all of my other holiday fabric is in another. They are on top of the shelves since I don't use them as much. You just need to figure out what works for your, some people can sew no matter how much stuff is around them others can not. I can but I like the idea that I can find things easier now. It's still a work in progress and it'll take me along time to get it right because I tend to be a procrastanater (sp?) at times and then I'll get on a roll and just do it.