View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Sambelina

I want to be clear. This BOM is NOT from my lqs. This is something I saw online and that has been coming to me in the mail. My local store closed last December so I've been doing more shopping online. I saw this quilt, thought it was beautiful, signed up, and the experience has been downhill from there.

As for the BOMs that I did at my local store, by photocopy, I mean a couple of letter-sized sheets with the instructions, not that someone took a regular pattern and made some lame copy of it. The number of times I heard the owner explain copyright to people and why they couldn't share patterns make me certain she had permission to provide copies to everyone doing the BOMs at her store. I've done some other projects through the mail, like the Patchwork Party events that use Marti Michell templates and patterns, and those have been the same - a couple letter-sized pages of instructions.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the shop doing this BOM is offering it online. Would anyone really be so foolish to violate copyright when it would be so easy for the pattern designer or the distributor to find out?